Social Signals & SEO (Short n' Sweet SEO)
Welcome to the first ever Short n' Sweet SEO here on Linkarati! Here on Linkarati we tend to err on the side of verboseness at times. We wanted to try switching things up to see if we could deliver content in a “bite-sized” format that was still as valuable as our long-form content. So without further ado, here it is. Enjoy!
The role of social signals within SEO is a common topic of debate within the SEO industry.
Social signals are NOT a ranking factor.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the major highlights/issues surrounding social signals and SEO.
Google and Twitter recently struck a deal to start indexing tweets
- Deal gives Google real-time access to tweets via data feed known as the “Twitter Firehose”
- Deal will allow Google to increase amount of tweets they index – Stone Temple Consulting’s study of tweet indexation
- Google and Twitter had the same deal before, it did not last
How the new Google/Twitter deal impacts search
- Increased indexation of tweets means tweets could start to show up in search more frequently
- Spammers will look for ways to manipulate social signals and Google will devise ways to counter spam
- Sharing content on Twitter could lead to quicker indexation from Google
Social media DOES influence SEO outside of SERPs
- Outside of search, social media links still provide increased exposure and visibility
- Social offers insights into audience behavior and interests, which provides guidance during content creation and promotion
- Social media is integral to the type of relationship building that aids link building/SEO